Memorial Day is all about remembering our soldiers, past and present. Hosting a Memorial Day gathering is the perfect opportunity for you and your loved ones to honor America and Americans. This week, I thought I would offer some suggestions on how to create a special celebration that your guests will enjoy.
Six Ways to Reinvent Your Memorial Day Party
- A Buffet of American Cuisine. Make some dishes that are old favorites in America. Some suggestions include creamy potato salad, grilled chicken sandwiches, hamburgers, corn dogs, fruit salad, and baked beans. Also, choose some desserts with patriotic flair. For example, strawberry shortcake with blueberries on top of the whipped cream would be an appealing addition to your spread. I recommend having your Memorial Day party outside on the deck or in your backyard. A picnic-style meal is perfect for sharing this day with friends and loved ones.
- All-American Décor. Whether you have your Memorial Day party indoors or out, you can decorate with an American theme. Get some flowers in red, white, and blue to create a patriotic centerpiece for your table. Also, purchase some miniature American flags and display them around your party area. Celebrate our country by putting up posters of some of the most beautiful places to see in America. The Grand Canyon, the redwood forests of California, Niagara Falls, and the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky are just a few of the natural treasures in America.
- American Music. I recommend that you play some American music in the background to add to the patriotic tone of your Memorial Day gathering. You can play classic pieces such as “America the Beautiful,” “God Bless America,” or “This Land is Your Land,” or you may prefer to play your favorite music by American singers and composers.
- American Party Favors. Allow guests to take home any food they want from your celebration. Also, create a fun gift bag that will leave your friends with a good feeling about your party. A CD of patriotic songs, a refrigerator magnet in the shape of an American flag, a cookie with red, white, and blue decorations, and a pocket copy of the Constitution of the United States are all ideas for a memorable gift bag.
- Patriotic Invitations. Instead of just sending out a simple email inviting friends to your Memorial Day gathering, send out e-cards that include the pertinent details of your party. Find some e-cards with a patriotic theme playing in the background. This puts a new twist on an invitation and gets guests excited about your party.
- Movies That Celebrate America and Americans. You can add to the atmosphere of your party by playing movies in the background that are special to Americans. Guests can take a few moments to watch their favorite parts while they are mingling and talking with friends. One of my favorites is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Other suggestions include The Patriot, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Edison, and even Forrest Gump.
Enjoy your gathering and welcome in the summer season! Cheers! – Sophie